Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Get It Done - April 2013

April Showers?  or Snow?

Seems like spring just doesn't want to come yet.  So I finished up my winter theme projects with the hope that I can pack them away and spring will arrive. Think that might work?  I sure hope so.

So here is my update on the projects from my March - Get It Done.   Other Get It Done bloggers can be found here.

I haven't done as much quilting as I was hoping, but I have squeaked in a little quilting in small chunks and managed to get a couple things done this month.  


So these were my goals for March and what I manage to get done.
  • Potholders - Done
  • January BOM - Done
  • Art Quilt - top made and pin basted
  • March BOM - Not started.
  • Nephew's Quilt - pin basted
  • Spring Mystery - no progress
  • Easy Street - no progress

Items that were not on my goals, but made some progress on.
  • Applique Class project - quilted and just hand sewing the binding left.
  • 5 yard quilt UFO - pin basted.
  • Pansy Mystery UFO - pin basted.
I didn't get everything I wanted done, but I did make progress, so I am happy.  

So what happened? Well one of the things I learned from a project planning seminar I went to, is what ever your plan, their is a 99% chance of that plan NOT happening.  Too many outside factors will affect any plan for it to work perfectly.  So my goals are just to help me focus, it is not a failure if they don't ALL get done.   

So when I got my art quilt and the piece of batting was too small, I then used that for the applique project.  Now I didn't have a small piece of batting for the art quilt, so I decided to pin baste my nephew's quilt in hopes that would create a piece of batting that I could use for the art quilt.  I didn't see the need to cut a small piece of batting from a larger piece when I knew I could use left overs.

The problem I ran into this time was the backing I had cut was too small for my nephews quilt...  I had some smaller quilt tops ready to sandwich, so I grabbed my 5 yard quilt UFO that was waiting patiently to be quilted and pin basted that one with this backing instead.   Now since I had everything set up for pin basting, I just went with the opportunity and cut another bigger piece for my nephews quilt and pin basted that one and one more smaller pansy mystery UFO.  I was thinking for pin basting one more quilt, but I was running low on pins.

So now for my goals in April and my guess on how many hours it will take.
  • Applique Project binding ~ 2 hours, but I do hand sewing while watching TV.
  • March BOM ~ 5 hours
  • Pansy Mystery - quilted and bound. ~ 7 hours
  • Nephew's - quilted and bound ~ 10 hours
  • April BOM ~ 5 hours
  • Path to an Art Quilt ~ 5 hours
  • Easy Street - borders and pin basted ~ 3 hours
Stretch Goals in case I have more time than I expect.
  • Spring Mystery - finish piecing top ~ 10 hours
  • Nephew 2 quilt - pin basted ~ 3 hours
  • Alphabet BOM - A-D ~ 4 hours
Right now I will be happy if I get anything done this month as it isn't starting out so great.  My son broke his wrist on the 1st and we are still waiting to see if he will need surgery.  Hard way to learn that instead of running on top of the net lying on the Gym floor, it is better to go around so you don't slip.  The funny part is that two of his friends broke the same bone in their wrist in the past, so he thinks it is cool.   Go figure what a 12 year old thinks is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment