Sunday, March 3, 2013

Path to an Art Quilt and link up.

I took a class at my local quilt shop Kelly J's called "A Path to an Art Quilt."   It was quite fun as I never did anything quite like this before.  This is what I have done so far. 

It uses a few different techniques.  
First was a deColorant wash on the background to get the red and blues on the yellow for the sunset affect.
Click here for information on the product.  I haven't used this product, except for this project, so I don't really know that much about it.

Next the pearly white deColorant but with less water for the clouds and setting sun.

Then creating a stencil for the smaller dragonflies and using the deColorant full strength.  Added some texture on the bottom by putting some deColorant on a relief pattern and pressing that on the fabric. 

And the reason she liked this product is that it is not toxic unlike some other dyes.

So after that we I added a little shading with crayons on the dragon flies and and little bling with some glitter.

Then we cut out and ironed on the large dragonfly and grass.  

So the next step is quilting and I did try out some designs, but I think I want to do a little more playing around as I really haven't figure out how I want to quilt each part.  I think I will scan through some different patterns Leah Day has as she has quite a selection of patterns for some ideas.  I am currently thinking pebbling on the bottom, outlining the grass and dragonflies and some type of flames radiating from the sun.  It is the sun itself that has me stumped.  Maybe something will come to mind as I work on the other parts.   But first need to finish those potholders and get them out of the way....

4 comments:

  1. That looks interesting and not something I've ever attempted either. I look forward to seeing the next stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great class. I love learning new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dragonflies! I haven't ever made an art quilt but have always wanted to. It seems so intimidating. But yours is really pretty. Can't wait to see it finished.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - that looks likes some fun color play! Does the product have a strong smell while you're using it?

    ReplyDelete